It is an attentiveness to my subjective experience, the meanings that I form upon entering a place and the historical record that I confront, which I want to use as points of tension within my work. This attempt can be seen in the video footage of the ‘Concordia’ shipwreck.
I was aware of my implications as a filmmaker going to the Mediterranean Island of Giglio, where tourists travel for vacation and in 2012 to also photograph the remains of a tragic ‘global’ event. To me the lodged shipwreck along the coast in front of people who continue their vacations symbolized many social and political tensions currently present in Italy. On a more universal level, I wanted to comment on the excessive need we have to image making and the contradiction of my documenting this activity.
– Sway: 2013 Master of Fine Arts Thesis Exhibition (Ferrari, Harris-Trevor & Somers), Logan Center for the Arts Gallery & Screening Room, The University of Chicago, IL, US, May 18–26, 2013. Included Ferragosto, 2012–13, hd color video, sound, 5:45 min, Italy–– installation, single-channel, led monitor, sound, continuous loop.
– Marco G. Ferrari, Aspect/Ratio Gallery, Chicago, IL, US, March 13–April 18, 2015. Included Ferragosto, 2012–13, hd color video, sound, 5:45 min, Italy––installation, single-channel, led monitor, continuous loop.
– Looking Askance, Gallery SKE and The University of Chicago Delhi Center, New Delhi, India, October 18–November 10, 2015. Included Ferragosto, 2012–13, hd color video, sound, 5:45 min, Italy–– installation, single-channel, 20 led monitors, 10 x 20 ft, continuous loop.
– L’alterità e il paesaggio: i film sperimentali di Marco G. Ferrari, Nuovo Cinema Aquila, Rome, Italy, May 30, 2017. Included Ferragosto, 2012–13, hd color video, sound, 5:45 min, Italy–– public projection, single-channel, hd video projector, image 5 x 10 m, east facade of Nuovo Cinema Aquila, 120 min loop.
– Stanza: ci sono cieli dappertutto, Narni (TR), Italy, April 22, 2017, group exhibit. Presentation by Prof. Brunella Antomarini (John Cabot University). Included Ferragosto, 2012–13, hd color video, sound, 5:45 min, Italy––screening.