Courses Taught, 2017-present:
– Communications: COM-111––Introduction to Visual Communications 111, Fall Semester 2017 & 2018. Example syllabus, https://marcogferrari.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/mgf-jcu-fa18-com111-intro-visual-com-syllabus.pdf
– Communications: COM-210––Introduction to Cinema, Spring Semester, 2018. Example syllabus, https://marcogferrari.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/mgf-jcu-sp18-com210-introduction-cinema-syllabus.pdf
– Communications: COM-230––Foundations of Digital Video Production, Fall Semesters, 2017-21; Spring Semesters, 2018-21; and Summer Session I, 2020. Example syllabus, https://marcogferrari.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/mgf-jcu-fa18-com230-video-production-syllabus.pdf
– Communications/Media Studies/Italian Studies: CMS/ITS-243––Cinematic Rome, Summer Session II, 2018. Example syllabus, https://marcogferrari.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/mgf-jcu-su18-cms-its-243-cinematic-rome-syllabus-20180702.pdf
– Communications/Media Studies: CMS-342–– Experimental Film, Fall Semester, 2021 (course design). Example syllabus, https://marcogferrari.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/mgf-jcu-21fa-cms-342-experimental-film-syllabus.pdf
– Digital Media Arts: DMA-387––Expanded Cinema, Spring Semesters, 2017-20; Fall Semester, 2020 (course design). Example syllabus, https://marcogferrari.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/mgf-jcu-17sp-cms-dma-387-expanded-cinema-syllabus.pdf
Related Work, Projects & Exhibitions
* Faculty Development Committee Award, John Cabot University, Rome, Italy, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020. Including support for the interdisciplinary project Porta Maggiore, https://marcogferrari.com/work/porta-maggiore/
* Adjunct Representative, 2020-21.
* John Cabot University Tirocino Curriculare (JCU Apprenticeships), 2018-19. Students—Arianna Gray, Gabrielle Small and Barbara Greco. Marco G. Ferrari, professor of Communications & Media Studies, is in search of John Cabot University students who would be interested in working as studio assistants for Ferrari Studios, an interdisciplinary artist collective formed by sculptor Virginio Ferrari, film/video artist Marco G. Ferrari based in Chicago, USA, Guardistallo and Rome, Italy. The internship would benefit students who have an interest in gaining experiences in the administrative and production aspects of Visual Art, Film/Video, Sculpture, Installation and Performance. Open to all students especially those with majors/minors in the departments of Communications and Art History/Studio Art.
– Alterity and the Landscape: Films and Videos by Marco G. Ferrari, visiting artist lecture presented by the Departments of Art History & Studio Art and Communications, John Cabot University, Rome, Italy, September 8, 2016. https://news.johncabot.edu/2016/09/marco-g-ferrari/
– Fear and Loathing of the Online Self: A Savage Journey Into The Heart of Digital Culture, Esc Atelier, Rome, Italy, May 23, 2017, conference. Screened “Newport”, 2017, 16mm transferred to hd, 7:00 min, a new work based on the online self for the closing celebration of conference (co-organized by Prof. Peter Sarram and Prof. Donatella Della Ratta, John Cabot University). http://networkcultures.org/online-self/program/
– L’alterità e il paesaggio: i film sperimentali di Marco G. Ferrari, Nuovo Cinema Aquila, Rome, Italy, May 30, 2017, solo screening with a presentation by Prof. Brunella Antomarini (John Cabot University). Exterior looped projection onto the theater building of “Ferragosto”, 2013; interior screenings of “Velodrome”, 2012; “D(z)iga”, 2012; “Resti”, 2014; “Spirit Level”, 2016–17; and “Spazio comune (lavoro in corso)”, 2017, a new work-in-progress based on the tension between the community and the city municipality over the management of the theater (Nuovo Cinema Aquila) in which the film was screened. https://marcogferrari.com/exhibition/lalterita-e-il-paesaggio-i-film-sperimentali-di-marco-g-ferrari/
– Stanza––ci sono cieli dappertutto, Narni (TR), Italy, April 22, 2017, group exhibit. Gallery screening with presentation by Prof. Brunella Antomarini (John Cabot University) of my past film/video projects including “Velodrome”, 2012; “D(z)iga”, 2012; “Parabola”, 2012; “Ferragosto”, 2013; and “Spirit Level”, 2017. In conjunction with the closing of the exhibit “La Casa e le Stagioni – Casa Ghirri” and the beginning of a new group exhibition project titled “Lessness”. http://www.stanza.cloud
– “Immagina Sparita (The Vanished Image)” with Ludovica Manzo (voice, live sampler); Luca Venitucci (accordion, electronics); Giacomo Ancillotto (guitar, electronics; Igor Legari (double-bass); Lulu Shamiyya (spoken word); & Marco G. Ferrari (live video projections). Performed at: Symposia #5––Delay or Die, NONE Collective, Rome, Italy, May 26, 2018, http://simposio.none.business; The Revolutions Won’t Be Televised, Esc Atelier, Rome, Italy, May 24, 2018, https://www.dinamopress.it/news/event/the-revolutions-wont-be-televised-immagini-archivi-dalle-rivolte-del-2011/; Siria: l’immagine sparita; improvvisazione voce-video-suono, Ex Asilo Filangieri di Napoli, Naples, Italy, April 19, 2018. Co-sponsored by Centro Studi Postcoloniali e di Genere (CSPG), Università degli Studi di Napoli “L’Orientale”, http://www.exasilofilangieri.it/siria-limmagine-sparita-improvvisazione-voce-video-suono/; “What’s left of the Syrian Revolution”, International Journalism Festival, Perugia, Italy, April 12, 2018, https://www.journalismfestival.com/programme/2018/whats-left-of-the-syrian-revolution; “The Work of Art in Post-Human Times: Workshop on Aesthetics”, John Cabot University, Rome, Italy, September 8, 2018, curated by Brunella Antomarini, Stefan Sorgner with the support of the Department of Communications and the Department of History and the Humanities, John Cabot University, https://slowforward.files.wordpress.com/2018/09/8-sept-_aesthetics-workshop-2018_a3b1.pdf
– Viennale International Film Festival, Vienna, Austria, October 31-November 3, 2019. Attended festival as representative of the Department of Communications and provided guidance to John Cabot University students who were present. https://www.viennale.at/en
– Marco Asilo: la casa ospitale; home projections (for the quarantined hearts), casa di Marco G. Ferrari, via Gentile da Mogliano 29, Rome, Italy, Marco 20––May 8, 2020. Eight evenings of outdoor projections from the home of Marco G. Ferrari onto the façade of the building on via Braccio da Montone 62, during the first lockdown. Featuring silent feature films; images of “Passeggiate resistenti: Pigneto quartiere in festa – Giorni di Liberazione”; selections from Rigenera’s international short-video call ”From our Windows to Your Screen”; and John Cabot University student films from the spring semester Expanded Cinema course. Presented by Rigenera Roma in collaboration with CSOA Ex-Snia and the Comitato di Quartiere Pigneto Prenestino. https://marcogferrari.com/project/marco-asilo-la-casa-ospitale-home-projections-for-the-quarantined-hearts/ ;
– Animaloids and Plantoids; 70th Anniversary of Transhumanism (dedicated to the Huxley family), online event, November 6, 2021. Featuring Eduardo Kac, Nina Selleres, Brunella Antomarini, Aladin Borioli, Marco G. Ferrari, Nefeli Misuraca, Stefan Lorenz Sorgner. Presented by the 6th John Cabot University Posthumanism Studies Workshop. Organized by Brunella Antomarini, Stefan Lorenz Sorgner and Chryssi Soteriades. Live streamed on the metahumanities youtube channel. http://beyondhumanism.org/blog/2021/03/01/animaloids-and-plantoids/; https://calendar.johncabot.edu/event/6th-posthuman-studies-workshop-animaloids-plantoids-second-session/
– Video Vortex #13: Play, Pause and Reset, John Cabot University, Guarini Campus, Rome, Italy, May 27, 2021. A hybrid event between Rome, Amsterdam and Ankara. Featuring Albert Figurt, Gabriele Marino, Natalia Stanusch, and Marco G. Ferrari. Organized by the John Cabot University Department of Communications and Media Studies in collaboration with the Video Vortex Network. https://networkcultures.org/videovortex/2021/05/28/rome-zoom-event/
– Ferrari Foundation, Chicago, Illinois, USA, Artistic Director/Co-Founder. 2021, https://virginioferrarifoundation.org. Visiting Artists Initiative, a curated series of artists talks, screenings, and community meetings for two Chicago based filmmakers, Kristina Valada-Viars and Echaka Agba, co-Creators/Directors/Producers who presented their work to the public: “(Coordinate 1) The Root: Looking For Ancestors In My Fathers Garden” and “(Coordinate 2) The Bloom” (work in progress) from their collection “Where Could We Go: A Map Of Finding Home” (www.wherecouldwegoseries.com).
- John Cabot University, Aula Magna, Rome, Italy, October 18, 2021. Artist talk and screening in collaboration with the Department of Communications. https://calendar.johncabot.edu/event/the-rootthe-bloomwhere-could-we-go-a-map-of-finding-home-screening–talk-with-filmmakers-echaka-agba-and-kristina-valada-viars/
- John Cabot University, Rome, Italy, October 19, 2021. COM 342–– Experimental Film class discussion and workshop.
– NoWorking, October 23, 2021, Rome, Italy. Artist talk, screening and dinner.
- Nuovo Cinema Aquila, Rome, Italy, October 27, 2021. Artist talk and screening. Part of XIª edizione di Logos—Festa della Parola.
- “Transfemminonda 3.04 – Dove Potremmo Andare: Una mappa per trovare casa, una conversazione con Echaka Agba e Kristina Valada-Viars”. Radio interview, October 30, 2021. https://radiosonar.net/podcast/transfemminonda-3-04-dove-potremmo-andare/
– JCU Screens Films And Videos By Marco G. Ferrari, by Camilla Voltolini, September 9, 2016. https://news.johncabot.edu/2016/09/marco-g-ferrari/
– JCU Communications Professors Participate in International Journalism Festival, April 19, 2018. https://news.johncabot.edu/2018/04/communications-international-festival-journalism/
– JCU Communications Department Participates in Home Projections (for the Quarantined Hearts), by Alisa Aceri, March 31, 2020. https://news.johncabot.edu/2020/03/home-projections-for-quarantined-hearts/
– REGENERATION Expanded Cinema Student Exhibit: May 8 2020. https://news.johncabot.edu/2020/05/regeneration-expanded-cinema-exhibit/
– The Root/The Bloom: Screening & Talk with Filmmakers Echaka Agba and Kristina Valada-Viars, by Samantha Bane, November 12, 2021. https://news.johncabot.edu/2021/11/echaka-agba-and-kristina-valada-viars/
– Telling Stories Through Expanded Cinema: Professor Marco G. Ferrari, March 2022. https://news.johncabot.edu/2022/03/marco-ferrari/
Misc. Video Documentation of Student Exhibits
Expanded Cinema course (spring and fall 2020) in conjunction with Marco Asilo: La Casa Ospitale – Home Projections (for the quarantined hearts) 2020 (March 20, 22; April 3, 10, 17, 25; May 1, 8; December 9) Casa di Marco G. Ferrari, via Gentile da Mogliano 29, Rome, Italy. Public film screening program, projections onto the facade of the building on via Giovanni Brancaleone 62, curated by Rigenera (Marco G. Ferrari, Donatella Della Ratta, Liryc Dela Cruz, Barbara Greco), with the support of CSOA Ex-Snia and Comitato di Quartiere Pigneto-Prenestino. https://marcogferrari.com/project/marco-asilo-la-casa-ospitale-home-projections-for-the-quarantined-hearts/
– May 8, 2020: ReGeneration: Expanded Cinema Student Exhibit. 13 student videos in response to the crisis. Featuring the works of: Andrea Cincotti; Aurora De Donno; Dzari Ranjato; Eleonora Scaiola; Jalen Graves; Lucrezia Carbonari; Martina Petrucci; Nadin Stereva; R. Alessandro Turchioe; Sabrina Italia; Samantha Bane; Sofia Carlettini; Valeria Muratori. DMA/CMS 387, Spring 2020, John Cabot University, Department of Communications, Prof. Marco G. Ferrari. https://www.facebook.com/events/679501706208510/ (fb recorded live stream video: 1 of 2 https://fb.watch/4OPqlIO7ru/, 2 0f 2 https://fb.watch/4OPsu5QQ9r/; promo: https://www.instagram.com/regeneration_expandedcinema/?hl=it)
– December 9 2020: Transformations—Expanded Cinema Student Exhibit. Twelve student videos building one collective expression of a marked change in form, nature, or appearance. Featuring the works of: Alesa Ilako; Alessia Rosu; Benedetta Annecchini; Brien Hajdari Caterina Fassina; Francesca Sapio; Gaia Sposito; Giammaria Montella; Giorgia Fratini; Martina Gualandi; Martina Ianni; Rahul Siddharth Kamble. DMA/CMS 387, Fall 2020, John Cabot University, Department of Communications, Prof. Marco G. Ferrari. https://www.facebook.com/events/1055830298175011 (fb recorded live stream video: https://fb.watch/4OPvJ_yy1L/; promo: https://www.instagram.com/rigeneraroma/?hl=it)