Resti is part of a series of pieces based on an ongoing collaboration with composer Francisco Castillo Trigueros. Throughout the years, as water levels dropped in Lake Michigan, a shipwreck off the Chicago lakefront (Pebble beach, 49th street) was slowly revealed. I started to capture this object during the winters, as the conditions around it changed. This was the start of a process to discover a second film that is part of Triptych tied to Chicago’s landscapes.
Resti contains digital superimpositions as I push and pull the horizon line, where the image seems fixed yet is in constant motion. The documentary material (recorded over the span of two winters), is reduced to a sequence of visual fragments. Francisco Castillo Trigueros’s austere progressions of sparse and diffused sound cling to the images like ice hanging from the ship’s skeleton; fragile, ephemeral.
The collaborative process with Francisco proposed a new process of image assembly for me as I didn’t have a soundtrack to reference rather I arranged the images to a visual composition that he provided. I knew only when there were breaks or different intensities and textures in the sound. Later, during a live projection performance by the Amsterdam based ensemble, Looptail, a recording was made and image and sound were joined.
– Requiem for the Beast: Closing Reception, John Preus’ solo exhibition at the Hyde Park Art Center, Chicago, IL, USA, August 2, 2014, group exhibit component. Exhibited Ferragosto, 2013, hd video, and Resti, 2014, hd video (silent).
– Gaudeamus MuziekWeek, Utrecht, Netherlands, September 12, 2014, live music performance. Screened Resti, 2014, hd video with music composed by Fransisco Castillo Trigueros, performed live by the ensemble Looptail.
– Marco G. Ferrari, Aspect/Ratio Gallery, Chicago, IL, USA, March 13–April 18, 2015, solo exhibit. Exhibited Resti, 2014, hd video; Ferragosto, 2013, hd video; and Peer, 2014, vinyl adhesive.
– Het Orgelpark, Amsterdam, March 14, 2015, live music performance. Screened Resti, 2014, hd video with music composed by Fransisco Castillo Trigueros, performed live by the ensemble Looptail. https://marcogferrari.com/exhibition/resti-live-performance/
– Looptail XXX-tra, De Link, Tilburg, Netherlands, April 7, 2015, live music performance. Screened Resti, 2014, hd video with music composed by Fransisco Castillo Trigueros, performed live by the ensemble Looptail.
– Black Cinema House, Rebuild Foundation, Chicago, IL, USA, April 16, 2015, solo screening. Screened Nacelle, 2015, hd video and Resti, 2014, hd video.
– University of Chicago Alumni Arts Exhibition, Logan Center for the Arts Gallery & Logan Center for the Arts Screening Room, The University of Chicago, IL, USA, June 3–5, 2016, group exhibit. Screened Nacelle, 2015 and Resti, 2014, hd video.
– Lucciche: A Video Art Symposium, Ponte di Ferro, Carrara, Italy, June 22–25, 2016, group exhibit. Screened Resti, 2014, hd video and Parabola, 2013, hd video. Co-curated.
– L’alterità e il paesaggio: i film sperimentali di Marco G. Ferrari, Nuovo Cinema Aquila, Rome, Italy, May 30, 2017, solo screening with a presentation by Prof. Brunella Antomarini (John Cabot University). Exterior looped projection onto the theater building of Ferragosto, 2013; interior screenings of Velodrome, 2012; D(z)iga, 2012; Resti, 2014; Spirit Level, 2016–17; and Spazio comune (lavoro in corso), 2017, a new work-in-progress based on the tension between the community and the city municipality over the management of the theater (Nuovo Cinema Aquila) in which the film was screened.
– The Little Match Girl Passion by David Lang, directed by Dado, Facility Theater, Chicago, IL, USA, April 13–29, 2018, theatrical performance. Featured the video “Resti”, 2014 (loop).
– Parts Extra Partes Festival––First Edition, Chiasso Perduto, Florence, Italy, April 20, 2018, group exhibit. Screened “Resti”, 2014 (loop).
Resti (film screening with live music performance), Het Orgelpark, Amsterdam, Netherlands, March 14, 2015. https://marcogferrari.com/exhibition/resti-live-performance/