It is an attentiveness to my subjective experience, the meanings that I form upon entering a place and the historical record that I confront, which I want to use as points of tension within my work. This attempt can be seen in the video footage of the ‘Concordia’ shipwreck.
I was aware of my implications as a filmmaker going to the Mediterranean Island of Giglio, where tourists travel for vacation and in 2012 to also photograph the remains of a tragic ‘global’ event. To me the lodged shipwreck along the coast in front of people who continue their vacations symbolized many social and political tensions currently present in Italy. On a more universal level, I wanted to comment on the excessive need we have to image making and the contradiction of my documenting this activity.
– Sway: 2013 Master of Fine Arts Thesis Exhibition; Ferrari, Somers & Harris-Trevor, Logan Center for the Arts Gallery & Screening Room, The University of Chicago, IL, USA, May 18–26, 2013 (group exhibit). Exhibited Attraction, 2012; D(z)iga, 2012; Ferragosto, 2012–13; Skyway, 2012–13; and Parabola, 2013. https://marcogferrari.com/exhibition/sway-2013-mfa-thesis-exhibition-ferrari-somers-trevor/ | installation: https://marcogferrari.com/work/ferragosto-installation-i/
– Marco G. Ferrari, Aspect/Ratio Gallery, Chicago, IL, USA, March 13–April 18, 2015 (solo exhibit). Exhibited Resti, 2014; Ferragosto, 2012–13; and Peer, 2014. https://marcogferrari.com/exhibition/marco-g-ferrari/
– Looking Askance, Gallery SKE and The University of Chicago Delhi Center, New Delhi, India, October 18–November 10, 2015, curated by Laura Letinsky (group exhibit). Artists include: Matthew Connors, Valerie Snobeck, Daniel Traub, Anna Elise Johnson, Marco G. Ferrari, Danielle Rosen, and Jayson M. Kellogg. https://marcogferrari.com/exhibition/looking-askance/ | installation: https://marcogferrari.com/work/ferragosto-installation-ii/
– L’alterità e il paesaggio: i film sperimentali di Marco G. Ferrari, Nuovo Cinema Aquila, Rome, Italy, May 30, 2017 (solo exhibit). Exhibited Ferragosto, 2012–13; Velodrome, 2012; D(z)iga, 2012–13; Resti, 2014; Skyway, 2013; Spirit Level, 2016–17; Spazio comune (work in progress), 2017. https://marcogferrari.com/exhibition/lalterita-e-il-paesaggio-i-film-sperimentali-di-marco-g-ferrari/
– Stanza––ci sono cieli dappertutto, Narni (TR), Italy, April 22, 2017 (group exhibit). Gallery screening with presentation by Prof. Brunella Antomarini (John Cabot University). Screened “Velodrome”, 2012; “D(z)iga”, 2012; “Parabola”, 2012; “Ferragosto”, 2013; and “Spirit Level”, 2017. In conjunction with the closing of the exhibit “La Casa e le Stagioni – Casa Ghirri” and the beginning of a new group exhibition project titled “Lessness”.